[Pw_forum] fft 3D

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Thu May 16 22:27:41 CEST 2013

On 05/16/2013 08:50 PM, Andrei Malashevich wrote:

> So it looks that by doing FFT and inverse FFT did not return the
> original function.
> I understand that my function rho(z) is not realistic and has a huge
> discontinuity but I thought that it should not really matter for this
> FFT test.
> At least when I took a similar function in 1D, and did FFT and inverse
> FFT in my python script I got my original function back.

The fourier transforms are:
CALL fwfft ('Dense', psic, dfftp)
CALL invfft ('Dense', psic, dfftp)

The other lines in the code snip you pasted have nothing to do with the
fourier transform; they are a re-shuffling of the order of the plane waves.

That said, the noise in "after" looks like a typical  example of
aliasing. Like here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SquareWave.gif>

bests

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto