[Pw_forum] Iron surface Molecular Dynamics

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed May 8 19:10:20 CEST 2013

Vincenzo, Giuseppe,

in principle it was meant to do Born-Oppenheimer MD - i.e.
use ensemble-DFT minimization of the electronic-structure
(a combination of conjugate-gradient and unitary rotation
minimizations), and verlet ionic steps.

In practice, I do not think it has ever been tested fully
(but it did work e.g. for large Al surfaces). Some of these missed
minima refer to the fact that the parabolic interpolation of the energy
in the cg step predicts a minimum  that turns out not to be lower in
energy than the initial point.

Maybe we can discuss this offline with Vincenzo, and Paolo Umari?

				nicola