[Pw_forum] Performance problems due to files in outdir

Henning Glawe glawe at mpi-halle.mpg.de
Tue May 7 22:32:14 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 09:29:42PM +0200, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 20:57 +0200, Henning Glawe wrote:
>
> > QE/iotk creates one directory per k-point, with only one small file
> > (eigenval.xml) contained in it.
>
> have you tried option "lkpoint_dir"?

Not yet, thanks for the hint. I'll try on the next 1000 materials and see if
the situation improves.
Is this compatible to all postprocessing codes, such as dos.x and pp.x and
the phonon code ph.x?

> > Are there any plans to move away from the 'many-small-files' paradigm?
>
> plans for a better I/O abound. People implementing them are less
> abundant.

Yes, I can imagine; most of us are more forced to get research done, and code
improvement is not valued too much :(

On the other hand, the subject of IO is quite complicated, as one both has to
keep in mind the 'local' vs. 'shared' scratch compatibilities...

The only parts of espresso I worked on so far are 'simple' postprocessing
tasks, so I don't have any experience regarding direct iotk interaction yet.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Henning Glawe

Max-Planck-Institut für Mikrostrukturphysik
Weinberg 2, 06120 Halle (Saale), Germany http://www.mpi-halle.de/~theory
Phone: +49-345-5582-613 Fax: +49-345-5511223  Email: glawe at mpi-halle.de