[Pw_forum] [100] surface relaxation of Al

Denis Davydov davydden at gmail.com
Tue May 7 15:59:05 CEST 2013

Dear Prof. Marzari,

Thanks for your reply.  I will use the sampling you suggested.

With regards to "right/wrong", after some literature review i would say the results are rather correct.
The interlayer distance change during surface relaxation
could indeed be non-monotonous, as was shown, for example, here

Huang, G. (2008). Electronic structures, surface phonons, and electron-phonon interactions of Al(100) and Al(111) thin films from density functional perturbation theory. Physical Review B, 78(21), 214514. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.78.214514

In any case, i will play more with this simple toy-problem.

Sincerely,
Denis