[Pw_forum] Electronic entropy

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Wed Mar 27 10:02:03 CET 2013

Dear Nicolas

If you use the smearing=FD the degauss parameter is the electronic
temperature (T) that gives you a measure of the (physical) broadening
of the Fermi distribution function (the deviation from its 0 K step
shape). if you use other smearing schemes degauss still measures the
smearing width of your (generalized) distribution function but does
not correspond exactly to the physical temperature anymore.
Generalized distribution functions (instead of FD) are used for
numerical convenience (i.e. to reduce the dependence of the total
energy on the smearing, particularly useful if you want to recover the
physics at 0 K). Useful reference:
DOI:10.1103/PhysRevB.51.6773
See also refs 16 and 17 quoted therein.

regards,