[Pw_forum] big difference between "total magnetization" and "absolute magnetization" for 4f elements

琨陶 taokun76 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 17:01:51 CET 2013

Dear everyone and Stefano,

In order to find the reason for the problem, I changed some parameters in
the input file to print out the occupation number for each atom as
following:

 &control
    calculation='scf'
    restart_mode='from_scratch',
    prefix='Gd',
    pseudo_dir = './'
    outdir='./',
 /
 &system
    ibrav= 4, celldm(1)= 6.96, celldm(3)= 1.59,
    nat= 2, ntyp=2,
    nspin = 2,
    starting_magnetization(1)=1.0,
    starting_magnetization(2)=1.0,
    ecutwfc=55.0,
    ecutrho=220.0,
    occupations ='smearing',
    smearing ='gauss',
    degauss = 0.01,
    lda_plus_u = .true.
    Hubbard_U(1)= 1.d-20
    Hubbard_U(2)= 1.d-20
 /
 &electrons
    diagonalization='david',
    mixing_beta = 0.3,
    conv_thr = 1.0d-6,
    electron_maxstep = 400,
 /
ATOMIC_SPECIES
 Gd1  1.0  Gd.GGA-PBE-paw.UPF
 Gd   1.0  Gd.GGA-PBE-paw.UPF
ATOMIC_POSITIONS {crystal}
Gd1  0.00000000  0.00000000  0.00
Gd   0.33333333 -0.33333333  0.50
K_POINTS {automatic}
2 2 2 0 0 0

I searched the occupation number for each atom In the output file, and
found following information:

At the beginning:

atom    1   Tr[ns(na)] (up, down, total) =   7.00000  0.00000  7.00000
atom    2   Tr[ns(na)] (up, down, total) =   7.00000  0.00000  7.00000

However, after the first iteration, I found the occupation number of the
first atom is totally wrong as following:

atom    1   Tr[ns(na)] (up, down, total) =   7.00064  5.60439 12.60503
atom    2   Tr[ns(na)] (up, down, total) =   6.87289  0.00836  6.88125

At the last iteration, I found:

atom    1   Tr[ns(na)] (up, down, total) =   3.60781  3.88818  7.49599
atom    2   Tr[ns(na)] (up, down, total) =   7.00165  0.09767  7.09932

So, I think the reason for unphysical results is due to the wrong
occupation number for the first atom. However, when I set these two atoms
into antiferromagnetic, their occupation number are correct. Could you give
me some suggestions?

Best regards,
Kun Tao