[Pw_forum] Phonon calculations with QE > 5.0.2

Latévi Max LAWSON DAKU max.lawson at unige.ch
Thu Jun 27 10:43:43 CEST 2013

[Sorry if this mail reached the list twice: the previous one was blocked
and quarantined, per Wyle Laboratories, Inc. network security policy ..?]

Dear QE users and developers,

I am trying to perform a phonon calculations on a large spin-polarized
system,
using the PHonon code and 4 images.

I first tried to use the 5.0.2 version, but decided to stop the very
long calculations
and restart them using the (patched) 5.0.3 version, because the
symmetries of the
modes, expected to be A and E, were not detected.

          + eq502.scf.in: input file for the SCF calculation
          + eq.502.scf.log: output file of the phonon calculation
          + eq502.ph.in: input file for the phonon calculation
          + eq502.ph.log: the output file of the phonon calculation
(image '0')

With the 5.0.3 version, I restarted the SCF and phonon calculations.
While the SCF
calculations went fine, the phonon calculations seem to get stuck at the
very
beginning: only the header of the phonon output is printed, the three
image files
out.[1-3]_0  are empty and the_ph[0-4] directories are not created.
Trying to
understand this issue,  I have recompiled it with the GCC compiler
instead of the PGI
one.. without results; I also tried the trunk version... no
improvements! I have also
attached the output of the SCF and phonon calculations with the trunk
version of
QE:

          + gt.502.scf.log: output file of the phonon calculation
          + gt502.ph.log: the output file of the phonon calculation
(image '0')

I have searched for illegal characters, renamed the files removing
dashes and dots
in the names ... nothing new... I really do not understand what kind of
silly mistakes
I could be making in the phonon input !!!

I am therefore soliciting you for having a fresh view on my inputs and
output. And I
thank you in advance for your suggestions/comments/criticisms...

All the best,
Max