[Pw_forum] A strange problem in phonon calculation

Wei-Bing Zhang weibingzhangavh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 06:01:03 CEST 2013

Dear Dr. Giannozzi and Le,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Actually, I also performed some test calculations using different
q-mesh from 3x3x1 to 8x8x1. It is quite strange again that the
calculation using odd q points i.e. 3x3x1, and 5x5x1 don’t include any
negative phonon frequency. While the calculations with even q-mesh
including 4x4x1, 6x6x1 and 8x8x1 give negative frequencies at q points
near gamma. It should be pointed out that with increasing q-mesh i.e.
from 4x4x1 to 8x8x1; the points with negative frequency become fewer
and the frequency seems to be more close to zero.  However, when I
calculated the phonon frequency at point near Gamma directly, the
negative frequency can be also found in acoustic mode ZA.  I also
tested the calculations using different version of QE (SVN, 4.3.2,
5.0.3 with May 6 patch), all version of codes give the same results.

I am really confused about the results. The results using different
q-mesh are enclosed.  Can I trust the results produced by odd q-mesh
like 5x5x1? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Wei-Bing Zhang

E-mail: zhangwb at csust.edu.cn, weibingzhangavh at gmail.com