[Pw_forum] change of crystal symmetry during vc-relax calculations with pressure

saqib javed sqbjd at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 14 09:18:16 CEST 2013

Dear PWSCF users,

I have a question regarding vc-relaxation with bfgs. I am trying to optimize lattice parameters and atomic positions of unit cell at high pressures. while initial symmetry of unit cell is tetragonal (a=b), the optimized cell parameters at P=25 GPa seems to be in orthorhombic symmetry i.e., a and b lattice parameters are no more equal. Final cell paramteres are:

CELL_PARAMETER

0.9958000   0.0000000   0.000000
0.0000000   0.9929000   0.000000
0.0000000   0.0000000   1.405800

Can vc-relaxation at a given pressure with bfgs method allows for change of crystal symmetry ?? I would appreciate a clarification

with best regards

Saqib Javaid
NCP, Pakistan.