[Pw_forum] Fail to predict semiconductor

Alexey Akimov aakimov at z.rochester.edu
Fri Jan 25 01:35:13 CET 2013

Dear Giuseppe,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. That is very deep analysis, indeed. It is definitely a good suggestion (i find it useful for myself, too :) ) I just wanted to point out that in general the DFT results should be interpreted with care, especially in such a pathological case when semiconductor is a metal computationally. It is good that +U correction can help for this system, although it is somewhat empirical approach. Perhaps, doing PBE0 calculations would be more straightforward to apply and closer in spirit to the first-principles philosophy, although more expensive.