[Pw_forum] Phonon eigenvector normalization

Jiseok Kim tube77 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 00:59:34 CET 2013

I am trying to calculate the electron-phonon scattering rate in k-space
using the phonon eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated from matdyn.x.
So I read the eigenvalues and eigenvectors from the output file (i.e.
matdyn.modes) and I check the normalization of the eigenvectors at a given
phonon wavevector q and phonon mode /eta by summing the square of absolute
value of eigenvectors over all the atoms.

When I calculate the electron-phonon interaction, I use the polarization
vector which is conventionally denoted as 'e^{\alpha}_{q,\eta}' for an atom
\alpha at a given q and mode \eta.

Here I wonder if I can use the phonon eigenvectors directly calculated from
'matdyn.x' as my polarization vector  'e^{\alpha}_{q,\eta}'.
Or do I have to re-normalize the eigenvectors by multiplying masses somehow?

Thank you.

JISEOK KIM, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
University of Texas at Dallas