[Pw_forum] Problem with QE 4.2.1 and AMD Opteron 6200 / 6300

Ivan Girotto igirotto at ictp.it
Thu Dec 12 11:20:15 CET 2013

Dear Fabricio,

I reckon there is some inconsistency in the results you are obtaining.
The AMD 6380 is a 16-core model. I'm wondering how do you map the
process affinity while running on 8 cores.
Without controlling such mapping you can obtain substantial performance
variation at each execution.
Indeed, cache memory and FPU are shared among a given set of cores and
the increasing concurrency on shared resources goes along with a
degradation of the performances.
The AMD 6380 also supports the AVX instruction set extension for vector
operations at 256bit. Does your O.S. support that too?
Compile a simple source with -mavx and see whether you can run it. Or
check if the "avx" flag is present in your /proc/cpuinfo.

For my experience about benchmarking QE on the same CPU system, the
combination of the Intel compiler + MKL turned out to be always the best
option.

Regards,

Ivan