[Pw_forum] PW is frozen

Filippo Spiga spiga.filippo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 22:27:10 CEST 2013

Dear Virginie,

to spot where the problem is you might want to start from the bottom instead of starting from the top. I think almost all the examples provided in the QE distribution can run in serial on a decent workstation. If I were you I will try these options first

1) GNU compilers in serial, without external libraries (editing make.sys and replacing -O2 or -O3 with -O0)
$env FC=gfortran F90=gfortran CC=gcc ./configure  --disable-parallel --disable-openmp --with-internal-blas --with-internal-lapack

2) Intel compilers in serial, without external libraries (editing make.sys and replacing -O2 or -O3 with -O0)
env FC=ifort F90= ifort CC=icc ./configure  --disable-parallel --disable-openmp --with-internal-blas --with-internal-lapack

3) Intel compilers in serial, with MKL (editing make.sys and replacing -O2 or -O3 with -O0)
env FC=ifort F90= ifort CC=icc ./configure  --disable-parallel --disable-openmp

and then try switching in parallel….

On Apr 15, 2013, at 3:50 PM, TRINITE Virginie <virginie.trinite at thalesgroup.com> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I have investigated a lot of configurations concerning this problem: changing the library fftw3 blas and lapack, changing the version of espresso , compiling on a node and not on the master, changing the optimization level from -O3 to -O2 (I have no -x flags by default)....
> The problem change or disappear for a particular input file, but I have not found a stable situation where I can run all the tests of PW without error with an increasing number of processors (say until 8 processors).
> The more common error is pw frozen, with no output (difficult to debug).
> With the tests of PW, the berry calculation is usually  the first one to fail with message like that:
> 	Frome addusden_r :error #   1
> 	Expected 44.000000, found 44.44233857: wrong charge, increase ecutrho
>
> Finally I think that either my machine has a very nasty problem or
> the problem can come from the compiler (I use ifort 12.1.3).
> It is not the first time that I have problem with the compiler, so I wonder which version of ifort can I use without problem?
> Usually I also use the mkl, but I recompile fftw3 and openmpi with ifort. Is it the more stable way to do?
>
> Thanks in advance for your response
>
> Virginie Trinité

Mr. Filippo SPIGA, M.Sc.
http://filippospiga.me ~ skype: filippo.spiga

«Nobody will drive us out of Cantor's paradise.» ~ David Hilbert