[Pw_forum] neb-GPU

Filippo Spiga spiga.filippo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 20:38:41 CEST 2013

On Apr 12, 2013, at 5:49 PM, Eugenio Furtado <eugeniofs at iq.ufrj.br> wrote:
>     Great! I followed your instructions (--disable-parallel and --disable-magma) and it is working perfectly. Regarding the system under study, it is the example I took from "/espresso/NEB/example" directory and was, in a first moment, used only for test. The "real" system benchmark is running right now.

I never tries those test examples because they are too small to appreciate any GPU acceleration. I hope your benchmark has a reasonable size.

>     By the way, as a beginner in GPU world, I still playing with the tools... I'm using a "zotac gtx 460". If I'm not wrong this is a GPU with 2.0 capability, so I though 20 was the correct arch.

I miss that part in your previous email, apologize. GPU compute capability is correct, I am afraid that the GPU memory on the card is not much. QE-GPU is designed to do not crash if the GPU memory is not enough, it simply… run on the CPU as backup strategy. So if the acceleration is very very small it might be because 1) system too small 2) GPU memory not enough for this specific setup

Excellent!

Happy computing

Cheers,
Filippo

--
Mr. Filippo SPIGA, M.Sc.
http://filippospiga.me ~ skype: filippo.spiga

«Nobody will drive us out of Cantor's paradise.» ~ David Hilbert