[Pw_forum] functionals and pseudopotentials for bandgap.

William Parker wparker at anl.gov
Wed Sep 26 19:47:16 CEST 2012

Hi Eduardo,

TPSS does not significantly change the DFT band gap with respect to PBE.  See these papers:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3698285
http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3076922
http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1760074

PBE pseudopotentials have usually been used with HSE since HSE's correlation is the same as PBE.  See, for example:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4722993

The pseudopotentials in PW/examples/EXX_example/pseudos are all RRKJ-type PBE pseudopotentials.

The first paper I mentioned tested a large number of functionals on a fairly large number of systems.  If you don't like Gaussian basis sets, there is also this paper (no meta-GGAs, though):
http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3524336

Enjoy your exploration of the wide world of density functionals!

--William

  William D. Parker              phone: +1 (630) 252-3388
  Argonne Scholar
  Argonne Leadership Computing Facility
  Building 240, Office 1-D.26
  Argonne National Laboratory