[Pw_forum] supercell

Layla Martin-Samos lmartinsamos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 11:23:18 CEST 2012

DEar Riubin, a supercell is just when you replicate along x,y and z a
primitive cell. The cell paramenters are such just (in the orthorombic
case): number_of_replicas_along_x * a, number_of_replicas_along_y*b,
number_of_replicas_alog_z * c, where a, b, and c are the primitive cell
parameters. For better understanding all this you should read an
introduction to crystallography and solid state physics.

As we are in periodic boundary conditions the supercell is interacting with
its images of course as in a primitive cell calculation. define better your
question. (after reading a text book of crystallography and of solid state).

cheers

Layla