[Pw_forum] SCF converges to different total magnetization values.

Yury Vishnevskiy YVVishnevsky at yandex.ru
Fri Oct 19 11:58:06 CEST 2012

Dear QE community,
I am doing vc-relax calculations (pw.x version 5.0.1) of copper
phthalocyanine polymer with gaussian smearing for electrons. When the
first such calculation finished I've started a second one with the
latest geometry and cell parameters in order to be sure that they are
indeed optimal. After the initial SCF procedure the program said that
the BFGS is converged, did no updates to the geometry and started the
final SCF as usually. Then I've found that the total energies after the
first and last (here second) SCF procedures are very different:
-513.10435104 vs. -513.10131945 Ry. The difference is that the first SCF
has converged to the total magnetization 0.94 (I have odd number of
electrons in my system) while the second to 0.00. Why is this happening?
The part of my input is as follows:

  &SYSTEM
     ibrav = 0,
     celldm(1) = 20.158,
     nat = 33,
     ntyp = 4,
     ecutwfc = 35 , ecutrho = 420,
     london = .true.
     nspin = 2 ,
     occupations = 'smearing' , degauss = 0.02 , smearing = 'gaussian' ,
     starting_magnetization(4) = 0.5,
  /
  &ELECTRONS
     conv_thr=1.0d-8
  /
ATOMIC_SPECIES
     N   14.00700  N.pbe-van_ak.UPF
     H    1.00800  H.pbe-van_ak.UPF
     C   12.01100  C.pbe-van_ak.UPF
    Cu   63.54600  Cu.pbe-n-van_ak.UPF

Anyway, I see that the electronic solution with the total magnetization
equal almost to 1.0 is lower in energy and want to do calculations with
this value fixed. I remove gaussian smearing and set
tot_magnetization=1.0. But with such settings (see part of input below)
the SCF does not converge. The program in the very start of log file
says "the system is metallic, specify occupations" (how is decides that
the system is metallic?) but runs further as usually. How should I
"specify occupations"? I know from experiment that my object is a
semiconductor and would like to keep occupations fixed in best case.

  &SYSTEM
     ibrav = 6,
     celldm(1) = 20.158,
     celldm(3) =  0.316328,