[Pw_forum] Efermi in band structure calculations

Mohsen Modaresi modaresi.mohsen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 19:41:20 CET 2012

Hi
If you set "Smearing=Fix" the system considered as an insulator. The Fermi
energy is defined for Free-electron approximation and also for metals. For
insulators the Fermi energy is defined in the middle of band gap. So you
could check in the end of scf.out and observe the highest occupied and
lowest un-occupied levels. The EF is defined in the middle of them.
Hope it helps.

--
Mohsen Modarresi,
PhD student of Solid State Physics, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran.