[Pw_forum] Using a pseudopotential with ghosts

Pietro Bonfa' pietro.bonfa at fis.unipr.it
Wed Nov 7 18:36:23 CET 2012

Dear QuantumEspresso users,

I produced a NC and a US pseudopotential for Y since I obtained negative
rho warnings (even with large cutoffs for rho) with the pseudopotential
from the QE web-page.

The NC provides good results but cutoffs are far to high for my calculation.

The US pseudopotetial works perfectly for all the configurations I
tested except for the one with an additional electron i.e. 4s2 4p6 4d2.0
5s2.0 (the pseudo has semicore s and p in valence) where ghosts appear.

The logarithmic derivative looks good enough in the energy range ± 8
Ry but a (ghost?) spike appear for ~9 Ry in the p channel where the all
electron log derivative is almost flat.

I also checked the band structure of hexagonal Y obtained with the US
pseudopotential against FP-LAPW result and they perfectly match.

So the point is: as long as the pseudopotential is not used in 4d2.0
5s2.0 configuration, is it safe to use it?

Thanks in advances,
kind regards,
Pietro Bonfa'
PhD student, University of Parma,