[Pw_forum] R: Re: HSE vs PBE

giacsport at libero.it giacsport at libero.it
Thu May 24 16:16:27 CEST 2012

Dear Giuseppe,
                          really thanks for the very clear and helpful reply.

But let me ask you this.

>From the psesudo library of PWSCF I took  the

Cu.pbe-n-van.UPF  (hard to say...I dont find it anymore in the database....has
the database been changed recently?...anyway the header of the pseudo is
reported below)

pseudo that is a USPP one.

Do you mean that hybrid calcs can be performed only with Norm Conserving ones?
:'(

Thanks once more!

Best,
Giacomo

the pseudo header

<PP_INFO>
Generated using Vanderbilt code, version   7  3
4
Author: unknown    Generation date:    4    3
5
Automatically converted from original
format
    1        The Pseudo was generated with a Scalar-Relativistic Calculation
  2.00000000000E+00    Local Potential cutoff radius
nl pn  l   occ               Rcut            Rcut US             E pseu
3D  3  2  9.50     10.00000000000      2.00000000000     -0.60492460120
4S  4  0  1.00     10.00000000000      2.10000000000     -0.43710222811
4P  4  1  0.50     10.00000000000      2.20000000000     -0.10740671642
</PP_INFO>

<PP_HEADER>
   0                   Version Number
  Cu                   Element
   US                  Ultrasoft pseudopotential
    T                  Nonlinear Core Correction
 SLA  PW   PBE  PBE    PBE  Exchange-Correlation functional
   11.00000000000      Z valence
 -121.01063523375      Total energy
  0.0000000  0.0000000 Suggested cutoff for wfc and rho
    2                  Max angular momentum component
  867                  Number of points in mesh
    3    6             Number of Wavefunctions, Number of Projectors
 Wavefunctions         nl  l   occ
                       3D  2  9.50
                       4S  0  1.00
                       4P  1  0.50
</PP_HEADER>

org>
>Ogg: Re: [Pw_forum] HSE vs PBE
>

>Dear Giacomo
>
>> is it OK? can I do it? I.e., using PBE psudopotential for HSE calculations?
>
>A the present time, there is no other way to perform hybrid calculations but
with GGA (norm
>conserving) pseudopotentials. In this regard, I suppose that a 95 Ry wfc
cutoff may be poor for
>copper (with semicore 3s and 3p). You should test the convergence of your PBE
results before
>attempting HSE calculations.
>
>> and then use the same for HSE (same pseudopotentials at PBE, taken from the
>> PwSCF website)
>
>I'm quite puzzled... There is no NC pseudopotential for copper in the
website. Do you mean the
>pslibrary?
>
>>     input_dft='hse', nqx1= 2, nqx2= 2, nqx3= 2,
>
>You should check the convergence of your results wrt the blend of k points
and q points, and this is
>the most painful task when using hybrid functionals (and metals are very
sensitive to k points...).
>In practice, be sure to the convergence of k points in the PBE calculation,
and starting from

>nqx1= 1, nqx2= 1, nqx3= 1,
>
>try to reach convergence (or reach the most bloody-cpu-consuming grid you can
afford) wrt the q
>points.
>
>> nspin=2
>
>Copper is nonmagnetic, and you have an even number of atoms. Save (a lot of)
time with nspin=1.