[Pw_forum] HSE vs PBE

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Thu May 24 11:27:04 CEST 2012

Dear Giacomo

> is it OK? can I do it? I.e., using PBE psudopotential for HSE calculations?

A the present time, there is no other way to perform hybrid calculations but with GGA (norm
conserving) pseudopotentials. In this regard, I suppose that a 95 Ry wfc cutoff may be poor for
copper (with semicore 3s and 3p). You should test the convergence of your PBE results before
attempting HSE calculations.

> and then use the same for HSE (same pseudopotentials at PBE, taken from the
> PwSCF website)

I'm quite puzzled... There is no NC pseudopotential for copper in the website. Do you mean the
pslibrary?

>     input_dft='hse', nqx1= 2, nqx2= 2, nqx3= 2,

You should check the convergence of your results wrt the blend of k points and q points, and this is
the most painful task when using hybrid functionals (and metals are very sensitive to k points...).
In practice, be sure to the convergence of k points in the PBE calculation, and starting from

nqx1= 1, nqx2= 1, nqx3= 1,

try to reach convergence (or reach the most bloody-cpu-consuming grid you can afford) wrt the q
points.

> nspin=2

Copper is nonmagnetic, and you have an even number of atoms. Save (a lot of) time with nspin=1.

> nbnd = 80
> occupations='smearing'

The latter provide already a fair number of unoccupied states, you do not need to use the former.

HTH

Giuseppe

On Thursday 24 May 2012 04:45:14 giacsport at libero.it wrote:
> Dear All,
>             I am using the development version of PWscf.
>
> I would like to ask you this question.
>
> I want to make HSE hybrid calculations (vc-relax) using pseudopotential at
> PBE level.
> I want indeed test the impact of the hybrid functional in the lattice
> parameter (this is the case of Copper)
>
> I mean is it a correct procedure to optimize the system with such initial
> settings
>
> /
> &system
>     ibrav=  2, celldm(1) = 6.830792531
>     nat=  4, ntyp= 1, nspin=2,
>     ecutwfc = 95.,  nbnd = 80, occupations='smearing',
>     degauss=0.01,smearing='gaussian', starting_magnetization(1)=1
> /
>
> and then use the same for HSE (same pseudopotentials at PBE, taken from the
> PwSCF website)
>
> /
> &system
>     ibrav=  2, celldm(1) = 6.830792531
>     nat=  4, ntyp= 1, nspin=2,
>     ecutwfc = 95.,  nbnd = 80, occupations='smearing',
>     degauss=0.01,smearing='gaussian', starting_magnetization(1)=1
>     input_dft='hse', nqx1= 2, nqx2= 2, nqx3= 2,
>     x_gamma_extrapolation = .TRUE.
> /
>
> is it OK? can I do it? I.e., using PBE psudopotential for HSE calculations?
>

> Thanks in advance for any suggestion!
>
> Best,
> Giacomo

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM)
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316