[Pw_forum] cutoff convergence of sapphire for elastic properties

Michael Mehl Michael.Mehl at nrl.navy.mil
Wed May 9 16:04:59 CEST 2012

The elastic constants of sapphire are all in the 100-500 GPa range (same
reference as before).  A 1 kbar error in your calculation, or even a 10
kbar (the pessimist in me says 100 kbar) is going to be small compared
to DFT errors.  In general, trying to get elastic constants accurate to
1 kbar (0.1 GPa) with current DFT functionals and techniques is futile.
(Consider the change in the elastic constants due to volume, noting that
DFT does not get the equilibrium volume correct to parts per thousand,
much less parts per million.)

In any case, Hooke's law usually works for strains up to a few percent,
though I'm not sure what the range is for sapphire.   My personal choice
for doing elastic constant calculations is to take relatively large
strains (1%, 2%, ... , even up to 10%) and see how long stress is
proportional to strain.  Then the effects of relatively small errors in
stress are less important.  (I should say I do this mostly with energy
versus the strain squared, rather than stress versus strain, but the
principle is the same.)

--
Michael J. Mehl
Head, Center for Computational Materials Science