[Pw_forum] nk1,nk2,nk3 selection rule for HCP

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu May 3 22:30:00 CEST 2012

without additional knowledge of the electronic structure of the system I
think a reasonable criterion is that the density of points in all
directions is more or less the same.
so I would say that in an hcp with c/a ~ 1.6 a more balanced grid could
have been 18 18 12 (~18/1.6) 0 0 0.
but how many points are needed depends on the dispersion of the band
structure in the different directions.
If on a given direction the band structure varies strongly and in
another it is almost flat It is likely you'll need many more k-points in
the former direction than in the latter.

The golden rule is as usual to check convergence in your particular case
and if the behavior of your convergence test does not agree with your
expectation think which of the assumptions you based your expectation on
does not apply.

hope this helps, regards,

stefano