[Pw_forum] Tow question about band gap and occupations= 'smearing or fixed

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed Mar 28 11:28:30 CEST 2012

There is no harm in using smearing in a semiconductor/insulator (only
an increased cost in the calculation).

To get the band gap you need in any case the empty states - but note that
unless you know at which k-point the band gap is, you need to do a close
examination of the entire band structure.

last, of course the dft band gap is fairly useless.

			nicola