[Pw_forum] problem with neb calculations / openmpi

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:00:36 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Torstein Fjermestad
<torstein.fjermestad at kjemi.uio.no> wrote:
> Dear Dr. Kohlmeyer,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. Since yesterday I have made some progress,
> and I know think I see a more systematic behavior. What I did was first to
> recompile pw.x and neb.x with a newer version of openmpi
> (openmpi/1.4.3.gnu). Apparently this made the openmpi error message
> disappear.
> pw.x now works without problem, but neb.x only works when one node (with 8
> processors) is requested. I have run two tests requesting two nodes (16
> processors) and in both cases I see the same erroneous behavior:
>
> The output file is only 13 lines long and the last three lines are as
> follows:
>
>     Parallel version (MPI), running on     2 processors
>     path-images division:  nimage    =    8
>     R & G space division:  proc/pool =    2
>
> In the working directory of the calculations the files of type out.5_0
> contain several million repetitions of the error message
>

>      Message from routine  read_line :
>      read error
>
> I think this behavior is general because it is rather unlikely that both
> calculations accidentally are submitted to a defect node. To me it seems
> like there is some kind of failure in the communication between the nodes.
>
> I should certainly contact the sysadmin of the machine, but in order to make
> their work easier, I would like to make sure whether the erroneous behavior
> is caused by the machine or by the compilation/installation of quantum
> espresso.

more likely in this respect would be that you specify, create,
and/or try to access a temporary directory that is only available
on the first node of a group of nodes. this also can happen, if the
various nodes in the cluster don't share your home directory, but
that has become very unlikely with the way that most clusters
are set up these days.

whether any of this applies can be seen from your input,
job submission script, and information about how the
cluster itself is being set up.

cheers,
    axel.