[Pw_forum] Convergene of Magnetic moment is very slow

Giovani Faccin faccin.giovani at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 18:53:20 CET 2012

Kamal,

The scf will try to optimize the total energy. Once the energy is
optimized, the magnetic moment should stop oscillating.

Each step the program prints this line: "estimated scf accuracy: XXXXX". If
XXXXX is becoming smaller over time, the calculation is converging. If not,
then you can try other beta values, as discussed here:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/user_guide/node64.html#SECTION000137020000000000000

Just looking at the magnetization before the system gets self-consistent is
pointless, since all kind of values will show up.

A little idea that might help: be sure that you have enough kpoints. 5x5x5
can be too few for many purposes. I'd give it a try with, say, 11x11x11 to
see if the final magnetization (after the scf is concluded) changes.

Best regards,

Giovani M. Faccin
CPPP / UFMS - Brazil