[Pw_forum] how to calculate and plot HOMO or LUMO isosurface

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Wed Jul 25 13:08:45 CEST 2012

Dear Franklin
You are making a bit of confusion between ferromagnetic systems (Fe, Ni, Co ,...), and paramagnetic
systems (O2, among many others). Both kinds of system ARE magnetic, and generally require spin
polarized calculations. Regarding k-points, molecules have electronic levels flat in the Brillouin
zone (if you do not know what does such a statement mean and imply, a solid state physics textbook
may help...). Thus, calculations of molecules do not depends on k-points, as long as the box is
enough large to minimize the interaction between periodically repeated images of the molecule.
Solids, like ZnO, are (in a quite rough manner of speaking...) characterized by dispersed electronic
bands instead, and require to check the convergence with respect to the k-point mesh.
HTH (another cup, please, and with cream...:-))

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 12:41:06 Franklin Zhan wrote:
> Dear Prof. Giannozzi,
> It is great to hear from you.
> In my mind, only when we are dealing with some magnetic materials
> calculation, such as Ni, iron, the spin polarization is taken into
> account. However, O2 molecule is not magnetic material, thus I do not know
> why we need to take the spin polarization into consideration.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Franklin Zhan
>
> Ph.D student
> School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering,
> Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
>
> > From: giannozz at democritos.it
> > Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:25:51 +0200
> > To: pw_forum at pwscf.org
> > Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] how to calculate and plot HOMO or LUMO isosurface
> >
> > On Jul 25, 2012, at 12:20 , Franklin Zhan wrote:
> > > since O2 is not a magnetic system
> >
> > I beg your pardon?

> > > valence electrons and 5 down.
> >
> > P.
> > ---
> > Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
> > Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
> > Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM)
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316