[Pw_forum] Clarification on how to compute elastic constants

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Jul 18 15:15:07 CEST 2012

Dear Ibrahim

     1. in order to calculate the elastic constants you need to start
from the equilibrium geometry (fully relaxed, both with respect to
internal degrees of freedom and w.r.t the cell shape) and apply a
deformation of the cell (say +/- 0.5 or 1.0 %,... you should check
that you are in the linear regime) and then keeping fixed the cell
shape relax the internal coordinates. Considering a large enough
number of independent deformations you should be able to extract the
elastic constants from the stress-strain relationship.You need to
perform the internal relaxation because the cell deformation and the
internal degrees of freedom are in general coupled.

     2. The input of pwscf must contain explicitly all the atoms
present in the unit cell defined by the fundamental lattice vectors of
your unit cell. If you use ibrav=0, these are the ones you define in
the CELL_PARAMETERS card...
      as for the example of ZnSe it contains 8 atoms if your unit cell
is the simple cubic one but only 2 if the fcc fundamental lattice
vectors are considered.

      3. As for the full structural optimization... vc-relax should
work well (check carefully that stress calculation in converged).  For
simple systems, such as SC, FCC, or BCC, a lattice parameter scan + an
Equation of State fit (ev.x) should also work fine.

      hope this helps,

stefano