[Pw_forum] NEB in QE 4.3: NaN values of some of the initially generated images

Torstein Fjermestad torstein.fjermestad at kjemi.uio.no
Tue Jan 17 18:51:40 CET 2012

 Dear Layla,

 thanks for your suggestion.

 Unfortunately setting nstep_path=1 did not solve the problem. Image 3
 and 4 of the .path file contained the NaN values just as before.

 In the output file of the calculation it says nearly at the top:

      initial path length           =     NaN bohr
      initial inter-image distance  =     NaN bohr

 To me this result seems fairly obvious. Because two of the initial
 images contain NaN values, there is no way in which the program can
 calculate the initial path length.

 Some lines further down it says:

        ------------------------------ iteration   1
 ------------------------------

      tcpu =      3.0    self-consistency for image   1
      tcpu =    129.3    self-consistency for image   2

 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
      from coset : error #         1
      nsym == 0

 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      stopping ...

 The way I interpret this information is that the program manages to
 finish the SCF cycle for image 1 and 2, but when it comes to image 3 it
 fails because that structure consists only of NaN values.

 The origin of the problem seems to lay in the generation of the initial
 images.
 Does anyone have further suggestions on how to solve this problem?

 Thank you very much in advance.

 Yours sincerely

 Torstein Fjermestad