[Pw_forum] Ewald and Coulomb

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 20:10:17 CET 2012

2012/1/14 jiayudai <daijiayu at nudt.edu.cn>:
> Dear Yun-Peng,
>
> Thanks for your explanation. In fact, what i mean is that how to treat the
> ion-ion interactions with some charges. For example, sometimes we want to
> take out one or more electrons out of the system, thus the tot_charge in the
> system is not zero. In an extreme case, all electrons are ionized and taken
> out, there are only positive ions in the system. In this case, the Ewald
> potential should not be right but the real Coulomb potential should be
> correct. Since Ewald scheme considers the screnning by the electrons. Thus,
> i want to use the exact 1/r potential to represent the Ewald scheme. So, how
> can we reach this goal?

if you want to look at things at this level,
then you have to accept the fact that you
cannot remove electrons from an infinite
system. only from a finite system.

you can still do the calculation with a
periodic system, if you ignore the divergent
term that stems from the total charge of
your unit cell. if you do ewald summation
with conducting boundary conditions, the
forces will not be affected (at least not for
the classical system), but the energy is
- of course - wrong.

either this approach is good enough to you,
or you have to use a real space DFT code
instead, where you don't have to worry about
periodicity by construction (but have some
other issues...).

axel.