[Pw_forum] Energy window in STM simulation

David Pullman dpullman at mail.sdsu.edu
Mon Dec 10 04:15:32 CET 2012

Hello,
Sorry if you're getting this message twice, but I'm not sure the
first one went through because our department is still in the process
of changing email servers.

I have a question about QE's implementation of the the Tersoff-Hamann
formalism for simulating STM images.  If I understand the stm.f90
code correctly, the energy sampling window does not range from Ef to
Ef+sample_bias (which is what Tersoff-Hamann says it should
be).  Rather, the code increases the upper limit by 3*degauss
(degauss=smearing width) and also decreases the lower limit by
3*degauss.  In the case of metals, the value of degauss is taken from
the prior PW run.  I believe the subsequent lines of code modify the
weights of the states that are outside the Tersoff-Hamann window.

So, as an example, if a metal has a bias of -0.1 eV and the smearing
width from the prior PW run was 0.01 Ry (or 0.136 eV), then states
from -0.5 eV to +0.4 eV (with respect to Ef) are included in
calculating the LDOS.  This strikes me as a rather broad range, even
if temperature and energy linewidths are considered, and could alter
the appearance of the computed images.

Why do the STM energy limits take into account the smearing width
from the PW output?  And is it best to use as small a width as
possible if you intend to run STM simulations?

Thanks,

David Pullman
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA  92182-1030