[Pw_forum] MD restart algorithm in Quantum Espresso

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Mon Aug 20 09:26:20 CEST 2012

On Aug 19, 2012, at 24:09 , Alexey Akimov wrote:

> 1) about first part - yes, i meant BOMD calculations. So are you
> saying that the difference arises because of the convergence
> criteria for the  electronic problem at restart and during
> continuous MD run are different?

actually the convergence threshold on self consistency is the same,
but the starting
threshold for diagonalization differs in a restarted run from that of
a continuous run.
I have verified (see attached) that apart from this small difference,
the restart works
properly. You can perform one step at the time by setting nstep=0.
While I agree
that this is a funny behavior, I think that there are more important
things to be fixed
in BOMD right now

P.