[Pw_forum] installation

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 17:05:50 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Abolore Musari <abmus007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sohail,
> I think the shortest way to solve this problem is to get a Mandriva linux
> and you can be sure of no error.

congratulations for providing advice that is not only
incorrect, but also will cause a *lot* of work for no
good reason.

the errors of the original poster result from using
compilation or linking flags for the intel compilers
that are not compatible with the hardware.
*no* change of linux distribution will fix that.

a better approach would be to not use the intel
compilers at all and rather the "native" gfortran
compiler that ships with the distribution. there
also are fftw3/fftw2, blas/lapack/atlas/scalapack
OpenMPI/MPICH and everything compiled to be
consistent with the bundled gfortran compiler.

when running on a laptop, it is sheer folly
to try and optimize for the last 5% of performance.
at best one would run only test calculations
anyway. a serious calculation should be run
on a serious machine. full stop. ;)

axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0