[Pw_forum] Quantum Espresso (4.3.2) and pure openmp runs

Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi degliesposti at bo.imm.cnr.it
Mon Aug 6 12:06:46 CEST 2012

Dear all,

I have a (maybe basic) question on the performance of Quantum Espresso
with respect to openmp, even if I do not realise if the answer lies in
the way QE handles different levels of parallelism or lies at the system
level instead.

However, I am running QE 4.3.2 on a quad-core machine with 2 CPUs 64bit.
SO is Debian stable, and it recognises 16 threads in the CPU table.

I have compiled QE with pure openmp support (gcc) without any MPI
environment.

The question is: even if I do NOT set the OMP_NUM_THREADS variable
at runtime, from the table of the "top" command my process
now uses 1000 % CPU time, as if it were "parallelised" over 10 threads.

Is this real? Is there some kind of default when pw.x is invoked?
If so, how is openmp parallelism exploited by QE?

Thanks for your time and support.

--
Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi
CNR-IMM, Sezione di Bologna,