[Pw_forum] convergence NOT achieved after 100 iterations --- related question

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Fri Apr 27 11:20:30 CEST 2012

Hi Hande,

first question - would mp work?

In terms of "structure" of the smearing function, gaussian is
the smoothest, then mv, then mp. So if there were an intrinsic problem
with states at the fermi energy, it should be even more apparent in
mp .

As a general comment, the role of smearing is to help improve the
accuracy of k-point sampling - and so the 0.01-.02 you are using
is exactly in the right ball park.

A side effect (a positive one) for smearing is to help convergence
in iterative algorithms (as in PWSCF) - for that side effect,
0.01-0.02 is actually small, and so the more "structure" of
mv or mp could hamper the iterative convergence. So you could try
converging first with a larger smearing (.04 to .08), and then restart
with the "right" one. I'd be somewhat surprised to see much difference
between gaussian/mp/mp for say 0.07 Ry ~ 1 eV of smearing. Of
course, such a large smearing shoudl be used only to help
get convergence, and then reduced.

				nicola