[Pw_forum] on the way of approximating a large slab

Yavar Taghipour Azar ytaghipour at aeoi.org.ir
Thu Apr 19 11:57:29 CEST 2012

Dear QE users

I want to model adsorption of a large molecule on a relatively large slab. After test convergence on the number of layers for clean surface, I found 14 layers are needed, but for well-known technical reasons (time and memory limitation), I am thinking on how can one take into account the atoms of just some 3 topmost layers of the slab, and the effects of the remaining layers of the slab as an external potential.

Is it a meaningful question and what about its feasibility in the context of QE?

Thanks in advance.

Yavar Taghipour
PhD Student
Physics Group, AEOI