[Pw_forum] freeing memory after end of pw.x calculation

Marcos Veríssimo Alves marcos.verissimo.alves at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 08:41:47 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Maybe this is a silly question that has come up before, and probably it has
nothing to do with QE, but I could not find anything about it. I have
recently compiled QE in parallel with mpich, all compiled with ifort 10.1
and mkl. Now I am running a series of many many (luckily small) jobs on my
personal machine through a shell script, and I notice that after each of
the small runs, the used memory (as seen with the top command) does not go
down. Instead, it goes up steadily at the end of each pw.x run, and I can
only conclude that, for whatever reason, the memory used is not being freed
at the end of the runs. Has anyone seen this behavior before? Could it be a
bug of the intel compiler, or an OS-related (Ubuntu 11.10) problem?

Best regards,

Marcos