[Pw_forum] Querry abou the kpoints in transport calculations

Gabriele Sclauzero gabriele.sclauzero at epfl.ch
Fri Apr 13 18:20:46 CEST 2012

Dear Pankaj,

     if you are speaking about the k-points in the scf calculations,
then the correct thing to do is the second.
The optimal number of k-points depends on the band structure and on the
size of the BZ. The latter in turn depends on the size of the simulation
cell. Since this is usually much shorter for the electrode, then the
corresponding number of k-points along the transport direction must be
larger.
     Regarding the k-points in the transport calculations, if you are
simulating a one-dimensional system then you just need one k-point in
the perpendicular directions xy (because the transmission does not
depend on k_perp, in principle). If the system has extended leads
instead, you need to choose a k_perp-points set that integrates the
transmission in the 2D-BZ with sufficient accuracy. This set might be
larger than that of the scf calculation.

HTH

GS

--

Gabriele Sclauzero, EPFL SB ITP CSEA