[Pw_forum] regarding structural optimization

GAO Zhe flux_ray12 at 163.com
Fri Sep 16 17:39:46 CEST 2011

Because of your question without any details, I can only answer it generally. For getting convergency lattice parameter by energy-volume method, you can read the paper,Acta Materialia 54 (2006) 1641-1657, in which the author discussed that issue by Wien2k code. Or, if you want to use "vc-relax", you'd better decrease the convergence threshold to very small number with convergence cutoff energy, k-mesh and so on.
One more to be noted is that the minimum energy configuration corresponds to zero force, but minimum enthalpy corresponds to zero force and stress. In "vc-relax" case, we try to find zero both for force and stress instead of only for total energy.

--
GAO Zhe
CMC Lab, MSE, SNU, Seoul, S.Korea