[Pw_forum] problems with vc-relax

Elie Moujaes elie.moujaes at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 21:25:50 CEST 2011

Dear all,
I am relaxing a 60 atom supercell (graphene grain boundary) to make the total force on atoms mainly 0.001 Ry/au. However the vc-relax stopped after 4 days of execution and without reaching the desired force threshold. The following output was obtained :
1st relaxation process:
Total force 0.091   Pressure =- 114.1 kbar
2nd relaxation process:
total force 0.1   Pressure = -55 kbar
(new enthalpy < old enthalpy)
3rd process:
total force = 0.058   pressure = -11 kbar
Then in the 4th process, calculations stopped. Here are the last few lines of the output:
iteration #  2
ecut=    36.75 Ry     beta=0.30

Davidson diagonalization with overlap

     c_bands:  5 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  1 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  3 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  1 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  4 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  4 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  4 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  4 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  5 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  5 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  2 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  2 eigenvalues not converged

     ethr =  2.90E-04,
avg # of iterations = 17.6

     negative rho (up, down):  0.132E-01 0.000E+00

     total cpu time spent up to now is
382283.13 secs

     total energy              =    -676.77947904 Ry

     Harris-Foulkes estimate   =
-676.82846513 Ry

     estimated scf accuracy    <
0.17363554 Ry

     iteration #  3
ecut=    36.75 Ry     beta=0.30

     Davidson diagonalization with
overlap

     c_bands:  1 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  1 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  2 eigenvalues not converged

     c_bands:  3 eigenvalues not converged

The input of the vc-relax is:
&control

    prefix='GBphonon',

    calculation='vc-relax',

    restart_mode='from_scratch',

    tstress=.true.,

    tprnfor=.true,

    pseudo_dir =
'/exp/home/caiapo/emoujaes/espresso/espresso-4.3/Pseudo/',

    outdir='/exp/home/caiapo/emoujaes/espresso/Moujaes-Results/',

 /

 &system

    ibrav= 0, celldm(1) =1.889725989, nat=60,
ntyp= 1, ecutwfc =36.749309, occupations='smearing', smearing='mp',degauss=0.01

/

 &electrons

    conv_thr=1.D-6,

    mixing_beta=0.3D0,

    diago_david_ndim=2,

 /

&ions

 ion_dynamics='bfgs'

/

$cell

cell_dynamics='bfgs',

/

CELL_PARAMETERS
(alat)

  24.064488464
0.000772242   0.000000000

   0.000000000
6.503051170   0.000000000

   0.000000000
0.000000000   8.470514812

ATOMIC_SPECIES

12.0107  C.blyp-mt.UPF

ATOMIC_POSITIONS
(angstrom)

C      -11.330758616  -3.527803203
0.000000000

C      -10.659793092  -1.160339161
0.000000000

C      -12.039843315  -7.112619698
0.000000000

C      -12.041158182  -5.732701936
0.000000000

C      -10.941089654  -4.881442842
0.000000000......
Please can anyone advice me on this? Shall I start with the new configuration and start relaxing again?
Regards
Elie MoujaesUniversity of NottUniversity Park NGT 3RD