[Pw_forum] Segmentation fault with pp.x

Changru Ma crma at sissa.it
Mon Sep 5 09:03:43 CEST 2011

Dear Karthik,

It's explained in the User Guide.

12.6.0.1 Why is my job crashing with ``segmentation fault''?

Possible reasons: too much memory requested; executable or libraries fitted to a different hardware; code bug; compiler bug. The latter are typically not reproducible on different architectures or compilers; code bugs may sometimes be elusive, but typically yield a more reproducible, pattern of problems.

Mysterious, unpredictable, erratic errors in parallel execution are almost always coming from bugs in the compiler or/and in the MPI libraries and sometimes even from flaky hardware. Sorry, not our fault.

HTH,
Changru

On 5 Sep, 2011, at 08:51, vkarthik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using quantum espresso-4.3.2 and running some examples given at the
> tutorial website on the quantum espresso
> webpage.http://www.fisica.uniud.it/~giannozz/QE-Tutorial/     PWscf - Simple
> examples
>
> I am trying to run a post process job to determine the charge density.
> As mentioned in the slides when I run the command
> prompt> espresso_dir/bin/pp.x < si.pp_rho.in
> I get en error message
> Program POST-PROC v.4.3.2  starts on  5Sep2011 at 12:13:38
>
>     This program is part of the open-source Quantum ESPRESSO suite
>     for quantum simulation of materials; please cite
>         "P. Giannozzi et al., J. Phys.:Condens. Matter 21 395502 (2009);
>          URL http://www.quantum-espresso.org",
>     in publications or presentations arising from this work. More details at
>     http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Citing_Quantum-ESPRESSO
>
>   Info: using nr1, nr2, nr3 values from input
>
>   Info: using nr1s, nr2s, nr3s values from input
>
>     G-vector sticks info
>     --------------------
>     sticks:   dense  smooth     PW     G-vecs:    dense   smooth      PW
>     Sum         163     163     61                 1459     1459     339
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> any help would be appreciated.
> best,
> Karthik