[Pw_forum] Lattice constants with vdW-DF/vdW-DF2

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Thu Sep 1 21:27:44 CEST 2011

Dear Colleagues,

   I want to calculate molecules adsorbing on metallic surfaces, and since
the adsorption energy of them is know to be small, I would like to apply
the vdW-DF/vdW-DF2 for the calculations. When I calculate the lattice
constant with those functionals, I seem to get very large lattice
constants, 5-10 % larger than the experimental one. An example for bulk,
fcc gold is attached. I perform the calculation looping over different
values for the lattice constant; the result seems to be independent of the
cut-off energies (in this case I have large values for 'ecutwfc'/'ecutrho'
because this was the last run for the convergence tests).

   Thus my question, does any one see something wrong in my input? Since
the exchage part of the exchange and correlation is treated with a GGA
functional (independently whether I use vdW-DF2 and PW86 or vdW-DF and
revPBE) and correlation with LDA, plus an attractive(?) long-range
contribution, I would expect lattice constants much closer to the
experiments.

     Greetings from Wroclaw,

        apsi

PS Apologies if the topic of my mail is an FAQ/discussed already!

   Ari P Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
   Physikalisch-Chemisches Institut der Universitaet Zuerich
   Tel: +41 44 63 54 497  /  Mobile: +41 79 71 90 935