[Pw_forum] Segmentation Faults - Running QE-4.3.2 under Kubutu 11.10 within Latest Oracle Virtualbox

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 15:43:10 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 2:48 AM, W2AGZ <w2agz at w2agz.com> wrote:
> To All,
>

> I know segmentation faults are a constant nuisance given the multitude of
> platforms on which we ask QE to perform, but I’m having consistent failures
> trying to run the examples on a new Windows box I’ve built based on the
> latest Win7 and Oracle VB (Yeah, Yeah…I know…just switch to Linux,
> period…but I need to run antediluvian tasks from time to time).

hi paul,

> The Forum blames most segmentation issues on virtual memory limitations…but
> I have 100 gigs.

those 100gigs may be useless if you have a 32-bit compiler
or are compiling for a 32bit target. windows can be a bit funny
there at times. if you _do_ compile for 64-bit, please keep an
eye out for differences in sizes of integer variables. as far as
i remember, there are differences between linux and windows
and i would bet that very few Q-E developers, if any test on
windows.

the first step to solving a segfault issue is to determine
exactly what is segfaulting where. for that you usually
need to compile with debug information turned on and
run under the control of a debugger to get a stack trace
and thus determine the location of the segfault and then
figure out whether you are running out of stack space
or into some other issue.

cheers,
    axel.