[Pw_forum] general question on materials physics

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Nov 7 09:24:58 CET 2011

Dear Pascal
     the density of state of a material can have several gaps.
     for instance the core levels of all materials are well separated
from the valence bands by large gaps, in many polar III-V or II-VI
semiconductor the lower part of the valence band is separated by a gap
from its upper part, etc.

     what matters to determine whether a material is a band insulator or
a band metal is whether a gap separates the occupied from the empty
levels. If in your case the Fermi energy is located within a partially
filled group of bands it is a metal, even if somewhere nearby these
bands are isolated from the others by energy gaps.

     beware that if the partially filled set of bands determines a
rather narrow peak in the DOS you need to explore the possibility that
the material is actually a Mott insulator where the independent-particle
band picture is actually insufficient.

     best rtegards

stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS