[Pw_forum] XCrysDen & Animation Capture

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Mon Nov 7 01:58:01 CET 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-06 at 11:50 -0500, Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:
> hi paul,
>
> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 8:46 PM, W2AGZ <w2agz at w2agz.com> wrote:
>         It seems that the mpeg_encode and whirlgif packages are no
>         longer available for XCrysDen, and their old source codes are
>         “un-make-able,” at least within the current release of Ubuntu.
>         Any advice on how to “capture” the animation sequence of,
>         e.g., structure relaxation, for use in an presentation format
>         such as Powerpoint or Impress?
>

> have you checked out one of the following programs?
> - ppmtompeg (part of the netpbm package)
> - mencoder (part of the mplayer suite)
> - gifsicle (best gif encoder i know)
> - convert (part of the ImageMagik package, worst gif encoder i know)
>

> all of those were already supported by XCrySDen many years ago,
> so i would assume they still are.

Which, indeed, they still are. The mpeg_encode and whirlgif are not used
anymore for years.

It is true that sometimes making a movie can be tricky, but xcrysden
gives you a possibility to edit the movie encoding script before the
encoding, which can be useful when and if the default route fails.

Regards, Tone

--
Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html