[Pw_forum] making a supercell

Lars Matthes lars.matthes at uni-jena.de
Fri May 6 22:43:09 CEST 2011

Hello,

with xcrysden you can also save the supercell as .xsf structure (File > Save
XSF structure).
Within the saved file you can find the positions of all atoms (I found them
below the line
'BRILLOUIN-ZONE-CONVCELL_END'). The first column includes the number of the
element
and, therefore, needs some modification before you can use it in QE. But
much easier than
what you did up to now, isn't it?!

Ciao
Lars

2011/5/6 pari shok <parishok at gmail.com>

> Hello,
> I am using QE (obviously) and xcrysden.
> I am making the supercells just by:
>
>    - making the unit cell
>    - using xcrysden to modify the small cell by doubling it in different
>    directions
>    - finding the atom positions one by one
>    - making supecell by entering those atomic positions into a new lattice
>    to give exactly the thing that I made with xcrysden.
>
> I was wondering whether there is a simple way to double the unit cell in
> different directions.
> Thank you
> P Shok

Lars Matthes
Institut für Festkörpertheorie und -optik
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena
Max-Wien-Platz 1
07743 Jena
Germany

Phone: +49.3641.947163
Mail:  Lars.Matthes at uni-jena.de

Università degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata
Dipartimento di Fisica
Teorie di Fisica della materia
via della Ricerca Scientifica 1
00133 Rome