[Pw_forum] Problem with pseudopotential

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at materials.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 29 11:32:59 CEST 2011

Dear Izaak,

one of the graphs looks indeed very suspicious - it's the graph
named "planar-average-pbedrrkjus.pdf", but labeled inside
"Cu100 PP-van-ak 1vs2" (this is in itself is not a good sign :-)).

Make sure you perform two identical calculations, with  identical input
files, and identical postprocessing, but only swap the pseudopotential
name - first for the rrkjus pseudo, then for the ak-converted van
pseudo.

Calculate the average of the planar avarage, and then the work function
(you could look at Phys. Rev. B 80, 235407 (2009) for an extensive
discussion of these issues) - and see if you still get incorrect results.

If you do, and everything else was absolutely identical, and one
calculation gives a result that is in the experimental ballpark, and
one gives a result that doesn't make sense, then the pseudopotential
has a problem, and you should report it.

Double check also that your structure is correct (plot it with
xcrysden). Only superficial comment on the input is that you might
need a bit more k-points and a bit less smearing for ultimate accuracy.

				nicola