[Pw_forum] graphite cell optimization failed

Derek Stewart stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Wed Mar 23 15:33:00 CET 2011

Hi Eric,

I just wanted to follow up on Cyrille's comment.  Density functional
calculations for graphite based on the standard GGA exchange-correlation
actually predict that the graphene layers don't bind together at all.
So it is not surprising to see that you are getting very large unit cell
values in the c direction.  LDA exchange-correlation does a better job
at getting the correct distance between graphene layers, HOWEVER, this
is due to a lucky cancellation of errors.  A quick test would be to
rerun your structural relaxation with LDA to see if you get a more
reasonable spacing between graphene layers.

The root cause for your problems, as others on this forum, have
mentioned is due to the fact that van der Waals interactions are not
included in standard density functional theory (although QE now has some
options available).  In the end, the important question to ask is how
much you expect van der Waals interactions to affect the property of
graphite that you are interested.  If it will make a minor contribution,
then you may be able to just use the experimental distance between
graphene layers in graphite or else use the LDA result.

See the following article for a nice discussion on the LDA/GGA issue:

"Hard numbers on soft matter", H. Rydberg, N. Jacobson, P. Hyldgaard, S.
I. Simak, B. I. Lundqvist, and D. C. Langreth, Surface Science, 532-535,
606 (2003)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6028(03)00109-2

If you don't have access to the journal, I think there may be local
copies of the article on one of the author's website if you google based
on the title.

Best regards,

Derek

Derek Stewart, Ph. D.