[Pw_forum] For help about Quantum Espresso

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at materials.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 19:41:04 CET 2011

Dear Liwei

1) BT is an insulator, so no smearing. 6 6 6 1 1 1 is an ultracareful
sampling for the cubic cell. use a much better convergence threshold
for the electrons - 10-8 or 10-10. if you double the supercell,
halve the kepoints in that direction - 6 6 3 1 1 1. Do not relax
lattice parameter and ions, and make sure you get exactly the same
values for the total energy.

2) you need to compare energies between the same
amounts of matter, and it can easily become a very complex
topic. try to read some extensive papers of people calculating the
stability of non-stoichiometric oxides.

3) usually pseudos generated in neutral configurations are good enough -
i.e. transferable enough.

nicola