[Pw_forum] ph.x and Nesting Fermi Surfaces

W2AGZ w2agz at w2agz.com
Mon Mar 7 08:04:48 CET 2011

Miguel, thanks for getting back so quickly.

Actually, I use what the ph.x docs call "line of input" feature failrly
often to do "quicky" calculations of the "gamma point" e-p interaction.  I'm
familiar with example 2, but note, for Si, G and X are two separate
calculations.  I don't think you can specify two different q-points, e.g.,
at -kf, +kf as separate lines of input (I could be wrong).  What I sort of
have in mind is whether one could somehow specify as input to ph.x a
"q-vector" spanning the points -kf to kf and calculate the net e-p coupling.
For example, suppose kf = (0.25, 0.25, 0)(2pi/a units) and 2kf "connects"
two mostly planar Fermi surfaces on opposite sides of the BZ.  Physically,
this an extremely unstable situation would result in a CDW phase transition
doubling the unit cell (dimerization) and gapping the Fermi surface and
should in principle yield a very large e-p coupling constant beforehand.  I
suspect ph.x, at present, doesn't have the capability to simulate this
situation.

Right now, I have a run going with a "line of input" for q(or kf) = (0.37,
0.37, 0) but it's taking a long time to converge.  I will also try later 2kf
(0.74, 0.74, 0) just to see what happens.  Note these are not "high
symmetry" points.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

-Paul